The Outline of the Plan for the Reform and Development of the Pearl River Delta (2008-2020)
The National Development and Reform Commission released "The Outline of the Plan for the Reform and Development of the Pearl River Delta (2008-2020)" on 8 January, 2009. The contents related to Macao include the followings:
- The State will support the cooperation among Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao in developing the service industry, and fortify the status of Macao as a global center of tourism and recreation.
- The State will support the Pearl River Delta to conduct in-depth cooperation with Hong Kong and Macao in modern service industries, focusing on the development of finance, convention and exhibition service, logistics, information service, science and technology service, commercial service, service of outsourcing industry, culture and creation industry, headquarter economy, and tourism, to comprehensively advance the development level of the service industries.
- The State will make great efforts to push forward the construction of transportation infrastructure within the regions to form a coordinated and integrated transportation system with a complete and sound network, rational distribution of resources, and to attain operational efficiency with close link to Hong Kong, Macao, and the peripheral areas.
- Encourages and supports are given to the Pearl River Delta to pursue convergence with Hong Kong and Macao in terms of urban planning, rail transit networks, information networks, energy base networks, and urban water supply.
- To deepen the strengths on implementation of CEPA, to conduct well the role of early and pilot implementation of CEPA to Hong Kong and Macao investors.
- Full support will be given to the processing trade and industrial enterprises invested by Hong Kong and Macao in the Pearl River Delta Region, to boost their transformation and upgrade effort to extend their industrial chains and tap into modern service industries and advanced manufacturing industries.
- The Pearl River Delta, Hong Kong and Macao jointly build a high-quality living community. The three sides are encouraged to cooperate on education, medical services, social security, emergency management, and protection of intellectual properties, and conveniences will be provided for people from Hong Kong and Macao to work and live in the Mainland.
- The ways of communication and coordination with Hong Kong and Macao will be innovatively strengthened to facilitate the cooperation of mutual economic and social development.
Source: The National Development and Reform Commission